Strawberries and Rhubarb are both in season in June. Time to try this yummy jam with a little zip. Keto Alert: To make a sugar free Keto version, use “no sugar added” pectin, to which you can add up to one cup of Swerve or other sugar substitute.
Yummy Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- 2 cup rhubarb, chopped (approximately 1 1/2 pounds of stalks)
- 4 cups strawberries, chopped
- 3 cups sugar Keto- use 1 cup Stevia
- 1 large lemon zested and juiced
- 1 packet liquid pectin Keto-sugar free pectin
Make the Jam
- In a 8-quart, non-reactive pot, stir the rhubarb, strawberries and sugar together off the heat. Once the sugar has begun to dissolve, place pot on burner and bring to a boil.
- Add the lemon juice/zest to the pot and let it bubble gently for approximately 15-20 minutes. As the jam cooks, use the back of a wooden spoon to mash any large pieces of fruit. Add the pectin, stir to combine and let cook for a few more minutes.
- At this point, dip a spoon in the jam and see how it coats the back of the spoon. You can also try the saucer test. If you get a nice, even sheet, the jam is done. You can also taste at this point, to see if you like the balance of flavors. Add a little more lemon juice if you feel it needs additional brightening.
Can the Jam
- Pour into hot jars, wipe rims to remove any spillage and apply lids/rings.
- Wash your jars and rings and lay them out on a towel to dry. Place your lids in a small saucepan and put over medium heat, so that the sealing compound softens in preparation for canning.
- Process in a hot water bath for ten minutes.
- Remove from water and let cool. When jars are cool, remove rings and test seals. Refrigerate any jars that didn’t seal and store the rest in a cool, dark place.