This a great recipe to use up your bumper crop of cucumbers. The original recipe appeared in Eliza Acton’s Modern Cookery for Private Families, a best selling book in the 19th century, and now has a new life featured in the new Official Downton Abbey Cookbook. Bonus is that this a keto friendly recipe.
Downton's Cucumber Soup
- 4 large cucumbers peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper,
- 1 tbsp. rice flour or potato starch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley,
- Add the cucumbers, shallot, salt, and cayenne pepper in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to simmer, partially cover and cook until the cucumbers are tender, about 45 minutes
- Use a hand blender to purée until smooth. Alternatively use a blender and process in batches. Return to the saucepan and heat on medium.
- Add the rice flour to the cream to dissolve it and then sitr the cream mixture into the soup. Keep stirring for another 10 minutes on a gentle simmer, until the soup has thickened.
- Mince the parsley before serving and stir in. Ladle the soup hot. You can also serve this soup cold.