There is nothing that says Summer has just arrived like a rhubarb-strawberry pie. The two are ready to harvest about the same time so it makes sense that they were put into pie. A crumble pie gives you the best of both the pie and crumble, with a pie crust on the bottom and crumble on top.
Easy Rhubarb Strawberry Crumble Pie
- 1 half pie crust recipe see notes
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp, corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 cups rhubarb cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter chilled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Line a 9-inch pie dish with pie dough or use a frozen shell. Put aside. Preheat your oven to 425F.
- Mix all dry filling ingredients together and then mix with rhubarb and strawberries. Distribute the filling evenly into the pie shell. Sprinkle the nutmeg over the mixture.
- Mix the dry crumble ingredients together, then work in the butter with your fingers or 2 forks. Sprinkle the crumble on top of the pie ensuring you reach the edges.
- Place a cookie sheet on a rack below the pie and place the pie pan in the oven. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees for 45 minutes or till done.