Garden cake historically was a thrifty way to use vegetables in creative ways in times of food shortage. My version is lower in fat and sugar. Actually, not a bad way to get your kids to eat their veggies and is a lovely cake to offer at your next garden party.
Gorgeous Garden Cake
- ¾ cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 cup caster sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup parsnip coarsely grated
- 1 cup carrots coarsely grated
- 1 cup potato coarsely grated
- 1 cup apple coarsely grated
- 1 medium orange zested, then juiced
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and spices in a large bowl. Mix together the applesauce, sugar and beat in the eggs. Fold into the cake mixture along with the carrot, parsnip, potato and apple. Stir in the orange zest and juice.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 50–60 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan and set on a wire rack to cool. You can slice the cake in half to make a layer cake and frost the middle Dust with icing sugar, cream cheese frosting, and decorate with carrot curls* and a light cream cheese icing if you prefer.
- Enjoy. They will never know there are vegetables in the cake.