Just because you are following a low fat, heart healthy lifestyle does not mean you have to give up decadent dessert sauces. You will love this great sauce with only 2 grams of fat.
Luscious Low Fat Custard Sauce
- 3 cups skim milk divided
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar substitute Stevia
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar or white vinegar
- 3 tbsp. water
- Whisk together 1/4 cup milk, egg yolks and cornstarch in a large bowl. Heat remaining milk in a heavy saucepan until steaming.
- Gradually whisk milk into the egg mixture. Return to the saucepan; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the custard boils and thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in vanilla.
- Combine egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and water in a heatproof mixing bowl large enough to fit over the saucepan of simmering hot water.
- Set the bowl over the water and beat with an electric mixer at low speed, moving the beaters around the bowl constantly, until an instant-read thermometer registers 140°F (this will take 3 to 5 minutes).
- Increase the mixer speed to high and continue beating over the heat for a full 3 1/2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the heat and beat the meringue until cool, about 4 minutes.
- Fold the meringue into the egg yolk mixture.
- Transfer to a clean bowl and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Set aside to cool slightly.