This quick recipe is a great use for chicken or turkey leftovers during the holidays. The pastry dough is wonderfully soft.
Marvelous Makeover Chicken Rolls
This quick recipe is a great use for leftover chicken or turkey over the holidays. The pastry dough is wonderfully soft.
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 – 4 cups cooked chicken or turkey finely chopped
- 1/2 – 1 cup cooked vegetables, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1-2 tsp. Fresh basil finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chicken gravy see recipe below
- Preheat oven to 450F. Prepare a baking sheet by oiling or using parchment paper.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl and cut in the shortening until well incorporated into the flour.
- Slowly add the milk to make a soft dough, using more or less to get the right consistency. Knead until the dough comes to together.
- Flour your breadboard or roll onto parchment/wax paper to make a rectangle 1/4 inch thick.
- Combine the filling ingredients and spread on the dough.
- Roll up like a jelly roll.
- Cut into 1 inch slices and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes until pastry is golden brown
- Serve with chicken gravy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!