Trick or Treating originated in Britain and Ireland. Children and the poor would go “souling”, going door-to-door singing songs on All Soul’s Day (Nov. 2), saying prayers for homeowners, and performing other tasks to receive a soul cake a spiced biscuit.
A soul! A soul! A soul-cake!
Please good Missis, a soul-cake!
An apple, a pear, a plum, or a cherry,
Any good thing to make us all merry.
One for Peter, two for Paul
Three for Him who made us all.
Modern Halloween Sweets
You can also make your own Downton-era sweets
Spooky Soul Cakes, The Original Halloween Treat
Trick or Treating originated in Britain and Ireland. Children and the poor would go "souling", performing other tasks to receive a soul cake, a spiced biscuit. These yummy cakes are made in under 30 minutes.
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp. mixed spice
- 1 cup currrants
- 1/2 cup milk up to
- Pre-heat oven to 375F/180C/Gas Mark 5 and prepare a baking sheet, lining with parchment paper
- Cream butter with the sugar, then beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add the wet.
- Add the currants, and add enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Roll the dough out in 1/2 thickness and use a biscuit cutter to cut into circles.
- Mark with a cross and then place them on a greased and/or lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15minutes, or until golden brown. If you can smell them, they are done.
- Cool on a wire rack. You can store for a week, or freeze for months.
*how to make your own mixed spice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!