My actual “birthday” is over and it while it was a lovely day, I love claiming a full month to share merriment with other March babies, including son Master J. Making a special effort to reach out to friends for lunch or perhaps Afternoon Tea is a great way to make the best of March while we wait for Spring flowers to emerge. While Granny might not approve, many tea houses now offer champagne or celebration teas.
I love hosting virtual tea parties Downton Abbey and other topical issues one might discuss at tea, served up with a recipe with an interesting history. You may find my Online Guide to Afternoon Tea helpful in understanding traditions and recipes to help you host your own tea party with family and friends. For those of you who have just discovered Downton, enjoy the ride but watch out for spoilers.
Today’s treat is a savoury tea treat: Gougères, french name for cheese puffs. The nice thing about savoury items is they can also do double duty as appetizers and vice versa. They pair nicely with your champagne tea.
- Canada’s Zoomer Magazine for boomers with attitudes certainly picked the right cover girl for their April issue. A great feature on all things Downton, including my own treacle recipe.
- Downton Abbey S4 Casting News: Danger, Spoiler Alert.
- Wall Street Journal article reminds us to head the Downton lesson: diversify…and avoid anyone named Ponzi.
- Will she be back? Spoiler: I wonder if we can expect a visit from Grandmama in S4?
- Video Clip: Great DWNTN KDS montage of Downton Abbey scenes from S1-3.
Downton Rewind: My Weekly Downton Dish Column
Whether you are watching Downton for the first time or reliving it all over again, it has been a pleasure to watch episodes of Downton on Vision TV in Canada. They started back in January and are working their way through each and every episode.
I write a weekly column, The Weekly Downton Dish, offering major plot lines mixed with some interesting bits of history, and serving up a recipe which hints at what is to come in the coming week. My articles to date:
For the Downton Abbey Collector