When I switched to keto three years ago I set up to test recipes which I could make myself. I was successful in creating or adapting a number of keto dishes, bread was another matter. I still wanted to enjoy toast with Lord D in the morning. Recipes made either really tiny loaves, or were too eggy in flavour.
Now that Keto has gone main stream, you can purchase low carb breads, but they are very expensive. It took some time, but I finally landed on a bread which is both filling and tasty.
The Best Keto Bread
- 1 cup psyllium husk powder pulse in a coffee grinder or food processor to make super fine
- 3 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 3 tsp. salt
- 3 cups water boiling hot
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 9 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a large loaf pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Bring the water to a boil.
- Add vinegar and egg whites to the dry ingredients, and combine well. Using a mixer, add boiling water and beat for 20 seconds. It should look like Playdoh.
- You can brush the top of the bread with a little melted butter or with one reserved egg yolk.
- Bake on lower rack in the oven for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The loaf is done when it sounds hollow when you tap the bottom.