If you are pressed for time, this is a great easy dessert to make, and particularly wonderful to serve in the summer. And if you are trying to eat low fat, this version is for you.
Low Fat Eton Mess
If you are pressed for time, this is a great easy dessert to make, and particularly wonderful to serve in the summer.
- 4 cups strawberries
- 1 1/5 cups non fat plain greek yogurt, flavoured with honey
- 4 large meringue cookies or nests
- Hull and chop half the strawberries, and place into a bowl. Roughly mash and add the sugar and leave to macerate (marinate) for 10 minutes.
- Roughly crumble in three meringue nests — you will need chunks for texture, as well as a little fine dust. Leave one cookie to garnish.
- Fold into the marinated strawberries into meringued cream.
- Place the remaining strawberries, meringue yogurt mixture and into a lglass bowl or individual serving dishes. Top with remaining strawberries and meringue.
History LessonThe generally-accepted story is that the strawberry, meringue and cream pudding was dropped at an Eton v Harrow cricket match in the late 19th century. Rather than waste the food, it was simply scooped up off the floor and served, smashed to bits, in individual bowls.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!