Quinoa is a versatile ingredient in vegetarian and heart healthy lifestyles. Depending on large you shape these cakes, you can serve this great savoury gluten free/vegetarian dish at tea, as a appie, or main dish. It also does duty as a veggie burger, just make larger thicker patties.
Versatile Healthy Quinoa Cakes
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa red or regular
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 cups fresh spinach trimmed
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. lemon rind grated
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds or pine nuts or sliced almonds
- In fine sieve, rinse quinoa under cold water; drain. In saucepan, bring quinoa, broth and 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) water to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Drain in fine sieve; let cool completely in sieve.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add spinach; cook, stirring, until wilted and no liquid remains, about 3 minutes. Let cool; coarsely chop.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, Parmesan cheese, flour, baking powder and lemon rind; fold in quinoa and spinach mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to let the mixture thicken.
- With wet hands (trust me on this one), form into cakes (16 -24 for appie size, 12 for main course, burger sized); transfer to waxed paper–lined tray. At this point you can refrigerate before you are ready to fry
- In nonstick skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat; fry half of the cakes, turning once with 2 spatulas, until golden, about 8 minutes. You can use more oil if you are not concerned with fat.
- Keep warm on baking sheet in 200°F (100°C) oven. Repeat with remaining oil and cakes. Serve drizzled with Lemon Yogurt Sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Luscious Low Fat Lemon Yoghurt Sauce
- 1-1/2 cups non-fat greek yogurt*
- 1/3 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Stir together yogurt, onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside in refrigerator.