This classic appetizer has a place in history as one of the dishes served in 1st Class on the fateful evening of the sinking of the Titanic on Sunday, April 14, 1912 at 11:40 pm. Downton fans know that the sinking of the Titanic started the series.
Titanic's Oysters à la Russe
This classic appetizer has a place in history as one of the dishes served in 1st Class on the fateful evening of the sinking of the Titanic on Sunday, April 14, 1912 at 11:40 pm. The name simply means oysters russian style which is why there is vodka in the recipe!
- 2 tbsp. vodka
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. prepared horseradish (I added a little more)
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 medium plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. chives finely sliced or chopped
- 12 large oysters
- 1 pinch black peppercorns freshly cracked
- In bowl, stir together vodka, lemon juice, horseradish, hot pepper sauce, sugar, salt.
- Gently stir in tomato and chives.
- Wash oysters under running water to remove any loose barnacles or sand.
- Insert tip of oyster shucker between shell halves near hinges; twist upward to open shell. Discard top shell, Using blade of shucker, sever connective membrane that holds oyster to bottom shell. Place open oysters on bed of shaved or crushed ice.
- Spoon vodka relish over each oyster; dusting with cracked pepper.
A must have guide if you are planning a Titanic dinner.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!