Now that the US, UK and Canada have enjoyed long weekends this month (and other countries in hot pursuit) we can all in the mood for taking it a little easier at work and enjoying life outdoors. Less time looking for missing files, more time searching for gardening tools. Your accounting skills now are put to use calculating your golf index and how much food to buy per person for the camping trip. Organizational talents range from BBQ grill management to pulling together details for your neighborhood street party. Forecasting is all about looking up at the clouds. And then there is freezer inventory.
Our annual family”Fishing Like A Crawley” fishing trip is a month away. We still have salmon and a bit of ling cod left in our freezer from last year (thanks to vacuum packing) so we have been gifting to friends and colleagues what we can’t eat ourselves. In keeping with my rhubarb series, today we are making Grilled Salmon with Sherry Rhubarb Sauce using rhubarb in a main course dish, in a wonderful boozy sherry sauce.
We will have to get used to Downton Downtime. We do know that Season 5 is coming eventually (Sept on ITV, Jan on PBS), so we will see press about new casting, and perhaps a plot spoiler or two in the next 8 months. However, the popularity of the show does provide us with crumbs to keep us going:
- The hottest rumour this week is that George Clooney may get married at Highclere Castle this September: Believe it or not
- Vote for Downton in the British TV Choice Awards: cast your ballot here
- Corrie’s Gloria drove off into the sunset and into S5: Sue Johnston will be Violet’s maid.
- Shooting Season 5: Jullian Fellowes promises more marvellous stuff
- Emmy TV writers gather: a tricky business killing off characters
My List of Favorite Rhubarb Recipes Keeps Growing
Like my rhubarb plants, the list of great ways to enjoy rhubarb keeps growing. An Edwardian favorite, it really is a versatile vegetable, great for breakfast lunch and dinner.
- For Breakfast
- At Tea
- On Appetizers
- As Cocktails
Did you know that Rhubarb is good for you?
Rhubarb is a great source of:
- Calcium for strong bones
- Antioxidants for flawless skin and better vision
- Vitamin K, for healthy blood clotting and a strong immune system