If you have made scalloped potatoes in the past you can be waiting hours for your raw potatoes to cook. This game changing recipe was inspired by America’s Test Kitchen.
They drastically cut the cooking time by precooking the potatoes, using lots of cream instead of flour/milk to create the sauce.
Our family loves the crunchy topping of traditional scalloped potatoes so you can cut down on the dairy and still get a creamy result.
Game Changing Scalloped Potatoes
You no longer have to wait 2+hours for scalloped poatoes to cook. The secret is to precook the potatoes, then finish in the oven.
- 3 quart baking dish
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 - 1 cup whole milk
- 4 sprigs thyme fresh
- 2 medium bay leaves
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper ground
- 4 pounds potatoes peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until it turns soft and begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add cream, milk, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and potatoes and bring to simmer. If you like a crusty top, use less cream and milk. The full amounts will give you a nice creamy result.Cover and lower the heat to keep the simmer and cook until potatoes are almost tender (you should be able to poke with a fork) which should take about 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Transfer potato mixture to 3-quart oven dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cream has thickened and is bubbling around sides and top is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
For the fastest and most consistent results, use a mandolin or your food processor to slice the potatoes.
Serving: 100gCalories: 325kcalCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 7gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 410mgPotassium: 710mgFiber: 4gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 787IUVitamin C: 31mgCalcium: 139mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!