The traditional English trifle is easy to make, but loaded with calories; however there are ways to lighten the calorie and fat count, including replacing alcohol (which makes it kid friendly) with the juice from mashed or frozen berries. By replacing sponge with angel food cake we can reduce the fat count and finally, a lower fat custard will provide contentment without guilt.
The joy of the recipe is that the kids can help assemble it and best made ahead of time. It is a great dessert for the summer. The custard takes the longest time to prepare, but unlike pre-packaged foods, you know exactly what is in it.
Heavenly Light Low Fat English Trifle
- 1 small angel food cake (buy or make your own)
- 4 cups fresh seasonal and/or frozen fruit, halfed strawberries or any other berries, sliced bananas, kiwi,
- 1/4 cup sugar free berry preserves (optional if you are using fresh fruit)
- 4 cups Guilt Free Custard (recipe follows)
- Additional fresh fruit, and slivered almonds for garnish
- Cut cake into 2-inch-thick slices and cut slices into rectangles or strips.
- If you are using fresh fruit, you can either mash up a cup to generate some juices and spread that or some jam on your cake strips. Frozen fruit will generate lots of juice as they melt.
- Arrange half the cake, jam-side up, in the bottom of a 12-cup serving bowl. If you use a glass bowl or trifle bowl you get extra points for presentation. I have used square glass vases in the past.
- Arrange half the fruit over the cake layer and spoon half the custard over the fruit.
- Repeat with remaining cake, fruit and custard. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. You can make this ahead and let it sit in the fridge overnight or until you are ready to surprise mom.
- Just before serving, arrange fresh fruit decoratively in the center and sprinkle with the almonds.