This dish is a French classic that seems like a magical concoction but is actually pretty easy to make. You can do the prep in advance and put in the oven for 10 minutes before you plan to eat it. This recipe definitely tops my list of desserts for Valentine’s Day or date night.
Moelleux au Chocolat aka Chocolate Lava Cake
- 6 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate or use your favorite 70% dark chocolate bar
- 4 ounces unsalted butter with extra for greasing ramekins
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 tbsp. unbleached white flour
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Butter your ramekins*. Dust with cocoa powder and tap out to remove the excess. Take out a baking sheet to hold the ramekins in the oven.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over simmering water on the stove. Ensure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Whisk until smooth.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and salt on high until thickened and pale.
- Fold the chocolate into the egg mixture and then add the flour and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared ramekins and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-14 minutes depending on the size of your ramekins. You are looking for the sides to be baked but the top is still a bit wiggly. You can leave a bit longer if you just want the center to run.
- Take the ramekins out of the oven and let sit for a minute. Place your serving plate inverted on top. Flip over and let sit for another 15 seconds before carefully removing the ramekin from the cake. The ramekins will be hot so you will need a thick dish towel to help.
- Garnish with whipped cream, ice cream and a touch of cocoa powder.
- 6 oz ramekins will yield 4 servings,
- 4 oz ramekins will yield 6 servings
- 8 oz ramekins will yield 2 servings