One of the favourite holiday treats at Buckingham Palace is Christmas Gingerbread biscuits. They are soft as gingerbread cookies should be, and are made without molasses.
The Royal Family's Gingerbread Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. ginger ground
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. mixed spice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown soft sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. sugar for dusting
- Sift together the flour and spices, add the diced butter and crumb together with your fingertips.
- Add the milk to form a paste. Wrap in film and allow to rest for minimum 2 hours (best left over night)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out to approximately 1/8 inch (but depends on the size of the cookie you wish to make), cut shapes out and lay on a cookie sheet sprinkled with a little granulated sugar.
- Place the tray in the freezer for an hour to help them hold their shape.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes but be careful not to burn.
- Decorate with traditional royal icing. Link to the recipe is below.