In Italian homes, Salami di Cioccolato or Chocolate salami is a traditional treat enjoyed throughout the year, but especially at Christmas. It is also a traditional treat in Portugal. Traditionally made with cookies and alcohol, you can enjoy a keto version by substituting pork rinds which will give it the crunch, and omit the rum and brandy.
This is a no-bake dessert that will thrill your guests, and since this version is low carb it will please them all.
Christmas Chocolate Salami - Keto
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate 85%
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sweetener Swerve
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mix of chopped nuts and seeds i.e. pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds, coconut
- 2 cups pork rinds lighly crushed
- 2 tbsp. Powdered Sweetener to dust
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, beat the butter, powdered sweetener and vanilla until light coloured and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined.
- Add the cooled chocolate to the butter mixture and stir to combine by hand until completely smooth. Stir in the pork rinds and seed/nut mixture. Let sit to cool until it is hard enough to form.
- Lay a large piece of plastic wrap on your work area, Place the mixture on the bottom of the long edge of the wrap leaving space on either end. Start shaping into a 10-12" log. Roll up the salami until completely encased in the wrap. Twist the ends to help compress the log and smooth the sides. Put in the fridge and after 20 minutes roll the salami on your counter if it has started to flatten. You want a round salami not a half square one.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or leave in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Unwrap the salami and dust all sides with the extra powdered Swerve. Slice and serve.