The rendering of a snowy Highclere Castle is the perfect image for a Christmas card, a tradition that dates back to 1843. Sir Henry Cole, a Victorian A-lister, was in the unenviable position of having to answer the stacks of Christmas letters he had received. In desperation to keep up with social graces, he came upon the idea of an illustration that could be mailed; a printer created 1000 cards printed on stiff cardboard which became the very first Christmas card.
While it took several decades to catch on across Britain and the United States, Cole’s social circle immediately took to this time saver.
As for Christmas letters, an old English custom, the tradition still carries on. I still receive letters from family and friends, sometimes accompanied by baked goods.
If you have $25,000 to spare on an investment into history, you may be interested to know that this card is for sale.
Classic English Holiday Treats
In spite of the pandemic, I still did some holiday baking, but this year sharing with our closest neighbours. During lockdown, they are the only people we have a chance to see as we pass each other during our daily walks. To make the treats even more special and COVID friendly, I packaged in clear treat bags, printed little labels and secured them with Christmas tags.
- Never Fail Shortbread
- Fabulous Light Fruitcake
- Sugar Plums
- Amazing English Gingernuts
- Mince Pies from The Official Downton Abbey Christmas Cookbook
- Gingerbread Biscuits from The Official Downton Abbey Christmas Cookbook
Downton Gifts for Everyone
Here is a list of my top Downton gifts that you can order directly from Amazon. And while you order for yourself, why not order for family and friends and have it delivered directly to them. Amazon is such a time saver.
- The Official Downton Abbey Christmas Cookbook – the new holiday cookbook is here to help rescue 2020 with traditional dishes
- The Official Downton Abbey Cookbook -I love the official cookbook (mine are just inspired by Downton) as it contains little snippets and back stories from the film and series. If you just want the recipes you can always just find them on my site.
- 2021 Downton Abbey Calendar — my annual tradition is a purchase of the new calendar to grace the wall in my kitchen.
Until we dine again, Lord D and I wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas.