Ever wonder what you can do with the giblets you pull out from your raw turkey? A thrifty Abbey Cook makes use of all parts of the turkey, so make a broth which will give a flavour boost for your Turkey Pan Gravy.
Turkey Giblet Broth Makes Better Gravy
- 1 Turkey neck,gizzard, tail, and heart
- 1 tbsp. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 large carrot roughly chopped
- 2 large ribs celery, roughly chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme and flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp. peppercorns
- Roughly chop the turkey neck into large pieces, cut the gizzard in half. Heat oil on a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the turkey parts, along with onion and salt. Cook gently for 20minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 4 cups cold water along with the carrot, celery, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer until the broth is flavorful, 30 to 40minutes.