While you may think of meatloaf as a 1950s innovation, it actually dates back to Roman times.
This recipe comes from Mrs. Beeton, the first Domestic Goddess from her best selling book “Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Cookery and Household Management”, published in 1861.
Mrs. Beeton's Meatloaf
- 3 medium onions finely chopped
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs keto: crushed pork rinds
- 1/3 cup parsley dried
- 1 tbsp. thyme dried
- 1 tbsp. sage dried
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper freshly ground
- Grease a large loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl. Pound the ingredients with the back of a mixing spoon until thoroughly combined and well bound together or use your hands to combine the ingredients.
- Press the mixture firmly into the pan. Cover the top with tin foil. Place the loaf pan on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake for one hour, until firm and shrunk away from the pan slightly and the internal temperature reaches 155 - 160 degrees.
- Drain the grease, slice and serve with roasted vegetables.