Darren McGrady was royal chef to Queen Elizabeth II, and to Princess Diana until her untimely death. The Queen loves chocolate and especially loved this chocolate flan. You will too!
The Queen's Chocolate Perfection Pie
For the Pastry
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup vanilla sugar (blitz sugar with vanilla bean)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
For the filling
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 ounces quality semi-sweet chocolate (1 ½ bars)
- ½ cup water
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 ounces white chocolate grated
- 2 ounces dark chocolate grated
Prepare the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Prepare the pastry shell. In a large bowl add the flour and sugar and rub in the butter to resemble fine crumbs. Add the egg yolk and cream and form the paste into a ball. Roll out the pastry and line a 9-inch flan ring, then part bake the flan for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the filling. Place a mixing bowl over a pan of boiling wate and add 2 eggs, ½ tsp cinnamon, ½ cup sugar, ½ tsp vinegar and the salt.
- Whisk until the mixture starts to foam and then remove the bowl from the top of the pan to a cool surface. Continue whisking until the mixture reaches the ribbon stage.
- Pour onto the base of the flan and return to the oven until the filling has risen and is firm to the touch — about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to allow the filling to sink back into the shell. This is the first layer of the flan.
- Melt the 6 ounces of dark chocolate and add the water and egg yolks. Whisk until combined. Spoon half of the chocolate mix over the top of the sunken filling and return the flan to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the flan to cool completely.
- Beat the cream and cinnamon until stiff and carefully spread half of the mix into the flan. This is the third layer.
- Sprinkle on the grated white chocolate and dark chocolate in decorate manner. Refrigerate until set — about 1 hour.