To make Keto (sugar free), simply replace the caster sugar with your favorite sugar substitute, like Swerve.
Easy Meringue Cookies
Meringue is easy to make; take it to the next level by piping into cookie or nest shapes for your summer desserts.
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature or measure liquid egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 cup (200 grams) superfine or caster sugar Keto version: use Swerve superfine
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 F (105 C) and place the rack in the center of your oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites on medium speed with an electric whisk until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Add the sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat until the meringue holds very stiff peaks.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Test to make sure the meringue is ready by rubbing a little between your thumb and finger. When it is no longer gritty you are ready to go.
- Place 10 equal sized mounds of meringue onto the prepared baking sheet. You can use a tablespoon and make a swirl, or put into a piping bag with a star for a more decorative cookie.
- Reduce the heat to 275 degrees and bake the meringues for 60 minutes. You may wish to rotate the pan halfway through to ensure even heating.
- The meringues are done when they are pale in color and fairly crisp.
- Turn off the oven, open the door a crack, and leave the meringues in the oven for at least another 60 minutes to dry out.
- Meringue Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for several days.
*you can make your own caster sugar by simply processing granulated white sugar for about 30 seconds in a food processor.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!